'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full"

Luke 14:23

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Market and Powell & Union Square (4-16-11)

I have been publicly declaring the gospel now for about fifteen months and if there was ever a day that I wish I could somehow put into a bottle and save, it would have been this Saturday in San Francisco. I am aware of how selfish that sounds. The gospel is all about the glory of God and the salvation of souls - period. And yet the sheer joy I receive from declaring Christ to the masses is so overwhelming that at times that I am tempted to feel guilty. Yesterday was one of those days.


We got to the city around noon and set up camp at Market and Powell. The preaching went like this: "Good afternoon San Francisco. We have come here today to tell you the good news about Jesus Christ, for that is what the word 'gospel' means, literally, 'glad tidings of great joy' and as I am preaching this gospel to you, you should be struck with a sense of the glory of it; it's freeness; it's grace; it's accessibility to even the worst of sinners. And as I preach, what should flood your mind are words like 'liberty' and 'emancipation' and 'forgiveness;' but, if instead, words like 'religion' or 'condemnation' or 'judgment' are coming to your mind as I am preaching, then you are not hearing me nor the gospel correctly."

I then went on to explain to them the desperate condition of man, his depravity, and how great that depravity is, especially when compared to the utter perfections of Christ. Then onto the glory of God in the person of Christ. The glory of His character, His miracles, His patient dealings with sinners; His glory before Pilate; His glory before the Sanhedrin; the glory of His cross; the glory of His words on the cross 'It is finished;' the infinite glory of His resurrection and subsequent ascension to the right hand of the throne of God. The glory of His gracious promises "whoever comes to me I will never cast out" (maybe my favorite), etc., etc.. Then I implore the people with everything in me, 'come to the Savior, fly to Him...He will not cast you out, etc."

Even as I write these words I pant for a street corner to herald them from! Oh what a message we have church! Arise and declare His glory among the heathen!!


Jim preaching at Union Square


No comments:

Post a Comment